How Lipscombe Began
Lipscombe Child Care Services Inc. has been operating since 1944. The centre was originally known as the Child Welfare Clinic; at that time the lower floor housed the community child health nurse and the first floor was the Sandy Bay Crèche.
Early in the 1970s a formal kindergarten was set up until it was later relocated to the Sandy Bay Infant School. In the 1980s the Child Health Clinic was relocated to premises in Sandy Bay Road. The ground floor was redeveloped and the name changed to Lipscombe Child Care Centre.
The Centre continued to evolve and by the 1990s care at the site was for babies and toddlers only, with 3 to 5 year old children moved to new programs based at Sandy Bay Infant School (Nutgrove) and Waimea Heights Primary School (Seagulls).